Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Perhaps This Isn't for You

Blogging puts me in a weird place.

For one reason, it sometimes makes me look and/or feel braggy and proud. It's a creative outlet where I share a lot about what I like and what I do and what I create but I really don't like using the word "I" too much. (Well, not usually.) 

For another reason, it makes me vulnerable.

What if people don't care for my writing style?

What if people think that what I find to be beautiful is ugly?


What if people don't agree with my theology?

What if people don't appreciate my decorating style?


Last month I stumbled across a post by one of my favorite business authors, Seth Godin. (Oh, back in the day when I read his marketing books for fun...)



He talked about the humility of the artist. It just made me feel good when I read it and it's short so I'm quoting the whole thing for you here:

The humility of the artist
  
It seems arrogant to say, "perhaps this isn't for you."

When the critic pans your work, or the prospect hears your offer but doesn't buy, the artist responds, "that's okay, it's not for you." She doesn't wheedle or flip-flop or go into high pressure mode. She treats different people differently, understands that she is working to delight the weird, not please the masses, and walks away.

Isn't that arrogant?

No. It's arrogant to assume that you've made something so extraordinary that everyone everywhere should embrace it. Our best work can't possibly appeal to the average masses, only our average work can.

Finding the humility to happily walk away from those that don't get it unlocks our ability to do great work.


Thank you, Seth, for helping me understand that I am "working to delight the weird." To my weird, faithful readers and sharers, I say, "Thank you!" If you'd like to receive my blog posts directly to your email inbox, sign up here (then make sure you check your email and click to verify).

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


And to the rest of you I say, "That's okay, perhaps this isn't for you."


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...