Friday, January 17, 2014

My Storehouse

A couple weeks ago in my study of the Bible book of Matthew, God kind of whacked me over the head with something that he'd been nudging me about for a while.  The setting is Matthew 13 where Jesus finished telling a bunch of parables to crowds of people. He leaves the crowd to go into a house with his disciples to have some private conversations, including more parables and discussing their meanings. Finally, Jesus comes right out in verse 51 and says, "Have you understood all these things?" They reply, "Yes." Then he says to them, "Therefore every teacher of the law who has been instructed about the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasure as well as old."

The old treasure is referring to understanding the real purpose of Old Testament law in pointing the way to Jesus, the Messiah. The new treasure is understanding Jesus' teachings about the kingdom of heaven. People who understand both benefit doubly. I consider myself as one of those double-blessed.

The kicker for me was that the owner of the house brings both of these treasures out of his storehouse. I have a storehouse of these "new treasures as well as old" but I haven't brought them out of my storehouse to share here in quite some time. I love sharing about my earthly treasures but I also love sharing about heavenly treasures and you wouldn't know by reading this blog as of late!

My goal is to balance it back out a little more again. I want my blog to be a more accurate reflection of my priorities and life. It's not that I haven't been treasure hunting in God's word lately, because I have. And its not that I haven't been bringing those treasures out of my storehouse, because I have. I just haven't been sharing them here. And I want to.

Yes, I'm too busy to write about everything I want to because I have too many higher priorities than this blog. And, yes, I go through periods of yard sale madness and project central and those posts pick up a little more. But I'm praying that God causes my spiritual storeroom to burst in such a way that I can't not share. Even at the cost of the coolest Sally's scores and treasure hunting expeditions never making it live (already happens all the time). Or at the cost of a treasure-project being shared 6 months late (if I'm lucky).

That's all I have to say about that. But...I can't publish a post without an image. And I've got nothing on storehouses (unless I were to take pictures the stashes in my garage, basement and attic). So I'll leave you with a few e-cards. Created by yours truly. :) Enjoy.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...